As I write this I'm sitting in an internet cafe located in what is amptly called the "backpacker's ghetto" in Delhi. I just finished my morning masala chai and have a few minutes to check email and write a quick post. Yesterday we visited the Taj Mahal. It is absolutely breathtaking. I could not stop marveling at it the entire time we were there or since. It reminded me of when Kim and I first arrived in Lhasa and were immediately awestruck by the Potala Palace. It seemed that no matter where we went in Lhasa I kept glancing around until I located the magnificant palace again. And so it was with the Taj Mahal as well. Even when we were leaving we ran back to get one more look.
We start our long journey home tomorrow (Thursday) night. We have layovers in Colombo and Bangkok again before arriving back in Beijing. Due to the Chinese New Year and record setting cold and snow we have had difficutly securing train tickets back to Yichang. We think we have it all worked out now but prayers would still be much appreciated. Speaking of the upcoming holiday, Happy Chinese New Year! Tonight 1.3 billion Chinese will spend the entire night eating tradition festival foods and potstickers, watching CCTV holiday programs, playing mahjong, catching up with family and friends, and of course, there will be firecrackers. Loud, echoing, seemingly never ending firecrackers set off the entire night but especially from 11:30pm to 1am. All this to scare away bad spirits and welcome in the year of the rat in the most auspicious way possible. Xin Nian Kuai Le!
Wednesday, February 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I skipped over the last part of the blog...hurts me to think i may never get to have a spring festival, homemade dinner again. Really hurts...though i dint appreciate modern day chinese culture very much, i loved the food too much...and too many great memories of wonderful people like you sweetie....
Post a Comment