Friday, February 15, 2008

And then I found 1,000 rupees...

Yesterday as I was cleaning out my makeup bag I found 1,000 Indian rupees (which is the equivalent of $25 USD) on the bottom. I was so sad! I had thought that I had more money when we were in India but since I couldn't find it I ended up exchanging more on the last day. Originally, in Sri Lanka, the only place we could find to exchange our Chinese RMB was on the black market and the highest denomination they gave us was 100 (they actually go up to 500 and 1,000 bills). Since we weren't sure if we'd be able to exchange the RMB in India we exchanged all our money at that time and ended up with several fat wads of rupees, thus the need for separate storage compartments. I think it was the first time I have ever been sad to find money I had misplaced. It reminded me of when you try to save a bad story by saying "and then I found $20" but the opposite meaning.

I guess the finding of the thousand rupees was an omen of the things to come because after that discovery the day just kind of went downhill. First, I received no mail after being gone for a whole month. One of the things I always look forward to upon returning home after vacation is checking answering machine messages and mail at home. I asked my boss about the mail and his exact response was, "no mail for you." At first it made me chuckle because it sounds like the soup nazi from Seinfeld, but then the implications of no mail began to sink in. No love. Since it was Valentine's Day and all Kim, Beth and I decided to go into town for a nice meal together. We got ready (too cold for real dressy but after a month of backpacking just doing our hair and makeup was a big improvement). We went to the first restaurant only to discover they were only serving set meals specially designed for couples and they were really expensive! We asked about just ordering a few dishes from the menu but they refused. Since we weren't exactly sure what all the menu included and there were three of us we decided to try another (read: the other) nice western restaurant in town. Sadly, they were doing the same thing. Next we checked out the Pizza Hut (the line out the front door) on our way to our Plan C, a nice Indian restaurant. The Indian restaurant was allowing it's customers to order off the regular menu but there were no seats available so we were rejected yet again. Finally, we ended up at a hole in the wall shop that serves the best peanut won tons and noodles. We were all thankful that we hadn't gotten more dressed up because we would have really stood out then. Afterwards we went back to our apartment for coffee, dessert and a good conversation. All in all not a bad Valentine's Day, even with the newly discovered 1,000 rupees.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

so sad i saw the opening line and got ready to laugh but then not so much. sorry about it!! to cheer you up i'll tell you that twice yesterday ppl used the word salty and i praised them very highly for their word choice!! :)

kristy_mac said...

what's really funny is that what Kelly said was exactly what I was about to put... funny. Yeah, I said the word salty the other day and both my friends just looked at me. It's difficult to explain and most people just can't understand it. oh well, those who do...use it well or else - they're salty.

Brian H said...

haha, a guy who lived with me this fall would use the twenty-dollar line, and always explained why/how he used it. i didn't realize it was so wide-spread.

sounds like an excellent trip!

Brian H said...

i mean, that's my response after reading your next post and aside from finding twenty dollars... =P