
This year was the best Christmas I have ever experienced. The entire month of December has been Christmas parties. Kim and I having been giving all of our English majors a Christmas party in smaller in our home. Each of us have close to 150 students each so you see how practically every night has been filled. The workers at the local convenience store just laugh when they see me come in and say, "another party tonight?" It's all been worth it though to see the students just thrilled to be invited into my home, see the Christmas tree, play games and hear the real meaning of the holiday.
On Christmas Eve all of us waiguoren (foreigners) headed over to a small town about an hours drive away to participate in the local Christmas Eve service. Our American friends are teachers at a school there and have gotten to know some the members and leadership there and were asked to participate in the service. We ended up singing two Christmas carols in English and Chinese, and even a surprise performance with the children's choir of "This is the Day." Even though the entire service (decorations, costumes, set up) were completely different than what you would find in an American Christmas Eve service, it was still neat to be there and hear the story and songs in Chinese.
After the service we came back to Yichang, gathered all of our gifts and headed over to Brad's. We were going to watch "It's a Wonderful Life" but we ended up chatting instead. Before we went to bed Beth gave me one of the biggest Christmas surprised I've ever received. She had remembered me telling her earlier that going the Christmas Eve service my family will drive around town looking at the Christmas lights before heading back home to open up a small gift and read the book. So, she contacted my sister, Kristy, and had asked her to take pictures of the Christmas lights in my neighborhood and around Galesburg. I couldn't believe it!! She had put them on a slideshow on her computer so we all gathered around and 'watched the lights' together. I loooooved it. I could name most of the houses and really enjoyed having my two worlds, China and the States, brought together for a special moment in time. After we watched, and I teared up a bit, then Beth proceeded to give me a small gift just like we do at home. Awww. Thank you, Beth, for making Christmas Eve so special!! Then we snuggled into the palette and drifted off to sleep.
On Christmas morning we got up, fixed the amazing bagels that Beth had made (!!!), and got to work opening gifts. Now, in China, it's more of a challenge to find gifts for foreigners at Christmas time since we don't fit any of the clothes here, there's no Target and the only English books in the bookstore are TESL books. However, the upside to this conundrum is that it forces you to be creative and more thoughtful. This is a new tradition that I hope to carry with me for the rest of my life. We spent the next five hours opening up gifts! Yes, five hours. Since many of the gifts were homemade some contained different parts or required a short explanation. It was so great!!! I wish I could tell you about all the gifts and do the day justice but I just don't think I will be able to. I can tell you a few of my favorite gifts though. I received a beautiful painting of me dancing that Amy made for me. For the past semester Amy has been my swing dance instructor and we have had so much fun. Amy's an amazing artist and I love the painting and can't wait to get it framed and hang it in my room. Beth made me a 'Nancy Drew' kit compete with an adorable plaid bag, fun cd, and personalized notebook (for sleuthing, of course) with our pictures in it. We both have fond memories of growing up with Nancy. Brad made "Mai's Little Red Book." My family name in Chinese is Mai so the name is a spin off from "Chairman Mao's Little Red Book" which I find to be hilarious. In this special book are pictures of many of my dear friends in Yichang....former and current students, my Chinese grandpa, my Chinese teacher, the owners at our favorite restaurant, my American and Indian friends and even "xiao hei," the neighborhood dog. Not only are their pictures in the book but there's also a cd with a video of each of them giving me a short message. I know it is something I will keep and treasure forever. And Kim not only got me a new purse, that I was in desperate need of, but she also managed to pull off making me a gift card to my favorite drink stand on snack street!! This is quite a feat since things like this are unheard of in China, let alone our little snack street in Yichang. She explained to drink stand owner (who was also featured in my little red book!) that she wanted to pre-pay for all the drinks and then when I came I could get the drink for free and they would cross off one of the numbers on the card. The sweet drink stand owner told, "Oh, okay. We like Katie, we can give it to her free when she comes!" Ha ha. Kim reexplained saying that they didn't need to give it to me free but that she would pay in advance. After a few more times explaining Kim was successful in pre-paying and was able to surprise me with a drink card for eight free 'dan mi ru' drinks, which is my favorite. The drink almost, kind of, tastes like chocolate milk. :)
After our wonderful, five hour gift exchanging, we settled in for salsa, chocolate pizza and half of "It's a Wonderful Life." Later in the day, when Kim and I were back at home, we put our newly opened gifts back under the tree. This is one of Kim's family traditions and I like it too. That evening I was able to talk with my family on the phone and webcam with them for two hours. It was great! We were able to see each other open our gifts and laugh and made faces at each other. I love my family! And even though I wish I could have been with them for Christmas getting to talk and 'see' them was the second best thing. What a perfect ending to a perfect day.
I am so thankful for this Christmas. It's still hard to describe but the day just left me feeling so loved, cared for and touched that I was literally overflowing with joy and contentment. As I was going to bed I got on my knees and thanked Him for His Son, and for such a perfect and priceless Christmas. I will never forget it.
2 comments:
that's cool... i enjoyed your post. sounds like you had a great time!
I've had a nice holiday, including seeing some old friends, but i wasn't able to relax too much.
Hopefully, though, I'm going to have a month of traveling this spring... including helping Josh & Amber move to... yes, Colorado! =)
Katie, the stories you tell of life in China are a joy to read - you write well! I'm almost jealous of the Merry Christmas you had - even though I had a good one myself.
Happy (western) New Year!
Post a Comment