Saturday, November 22, 2008

Auntie Mai

One of the best things about living in here is being able to be involved at the local orphanage. Since the Rices took us to the orphanage each time we came for Thanksgiving we've known a few of the kiddos for two years already. It's so fun to park our bikes and hear the children call me "麦阿姨" (Auntie Mai; Mai is my Chinese family name) and come running out to greet us. The kids are great and I enjoy spending time with them. It really is my privilege and pleasure to follow James' instructions. Let me take you on a 'visit' to one of my favorite places here.

My little buddy. We both like hugs. :)

Art class with Kim and Katie.


Last year the Rices were able to help raise money for an outdoor playground for the orphanage. The kids love playing on it and since the weather is so nice here it can be used year-round. Grace and Esther, the Rices' adorable adopted girls, like synchronized sliding.


The orphanage is now doing international adoptions. This little girl, who helped me decorate the Christmas tree last year, is now in Spain! She was very excited when she figured out how to take a picture of herself with my camera. :)


The sweet little girl standing in the crib will soon be on her way to America. Her feet are deformed and I was afraid that she wouldn't be put on the adoption list but was overjoyed when we found out that she'll be going to the States.

The newest additions: three little, little girls. I couldn't believe how tiny the one on the left was. I wasn't able to see them this afternoon because the staff said a few of them had caught colds but I'll let you know how they're doing when I go back next week.

Let me know if you have any ideas for easy art projects or fun group activities. Xie xie!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those kiddos are adorable! I wish I could give them all a hug! Especially those new little baby girls. Please love on them for me!